What is a telerobotic coronary intervention?
Telerobotic Coronary intervention is a robotic method of performing surgery.
With the help of the internet and a robotic tower, a surgeon is able to treat patients from a distance.
Da Vinci system is the leading surgical robotics technology provider.
About the world’s first telerobotic operation
- An Ahmedabad based cardiologist Dr Tejal Patel performed the first ever telerobotic operation on a middle-aged woman
- He performed the intervention by operating robotically controlled instruments from a distance of 32 kms
- Dr Patel performed the surgery successfully from the Akshardham temple complex in Gandhinagar, while the patient was in the operation theatre of Apex Heart Institute in Ahmedabad
- Dr Patel used Jio Band 100 MBPS internet connection to perform this surgery that lasted for about 15 minutes
- In telerobotic operations, if any failure or delay in the internet speed is noted, the surgeons present would be able to take over the operation manually within 30 seconds
- The robotic system was placed in the operation theatre and Dr Patel was connected to it through high-speed wireless internet
- Moving the buttons from the temple, the patient’s arteries were cleaned up and a stent was inserted
- The operation was shown on a screen at the Akshardham temple, where Gujrat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani was also present
Benefits of telerobotic operations
- Cardiovascular diseases like stroke are a major cause of death worldwide result in about 18 million deaths per year
- The telerobotic operation has a potential to contribute largely in the cardiovascular medical emergencies
- This technology is especially important for high emergency situations of heart attacks and stroke, where ideal treatment must be received within 90 minutes or 24 hours
- This technology will benefit specially to those groups, who have geographical barriers and socio-economic status
Commercialising telerobotic operations
To improve results in patients, Corindus Vascular Robotics has pioneered the world’s first remote telerobotic interventional platform to deliver highly specialized and timely cardiovascular care to underserved patient populations.
After studying the results of telerobotic interventional performed in India, the company is also planning on commercializing the system and expand its interventional platform to ad